Cumberland Curling Club
1946 - The club was founded with curling on two sheets of natural ice in the Community Hockey Arena. Curling continued at the hockey arena until the season of 1951- 52.
1952 - In the summer of 1952 with a membership of 16 men the present building was
constructed. A loyal band of men, not all curlers but full of good citizenship and
enthusiasm, devoted their spare time and talent (night and day) all fall to the
They were the following : Les Dunning (president), Reg Waterman, Eddy Smith, Hec
MacMillan, Larry Dunning, John Dunning, Lloyd Lobb, Jim Moffatt, Tice Rochon, Arnold
1953 - Curling up to this time was with irons. Two sets of granite stones were obtained
on loan from the Royal Caledonia Curling Club.
1956 - Membership increased to a point where an artificial plant was installed this year.
All labour for the construction of the building, installation of ice plant, plumbing and club
room refurbishing was supplied by club members. There was several changes in club
construction in these years: kitchen renovated, upstairs lounge new floor and the roof of
1966 - Men’s change room added off the main lounge and the main lounge was redone
with a new floor and lighting.
1968 - New granites were purchased and our borrowed rocks were given to Loyola
University in Montreal.
1975 - Club rooms upstairs enlarged over entrance way and plant room.
1976 - New roof over ice surface after old roof did not meet the new snow load
1976 - Men’s Deep Sea Bonspiel started.
1981 - Mixed Deep Sea Bonspiel started.